Happy International Dog Day!
When pet and family lifestyle expert, animal rescue advocate, conservationist, dog trainer, and author Colleen Paige was ten years old, her family adopted their first dog, “Sheltie,” from their local animal shelter. In 2004, Colleen selected August 26th as National Dog Day in the U.S. In 2013, it was officially adopted into New York State Legislation, and since then, it has spread to multiple countries. It is now celebrated as International Dog Day worldwide and serves to bring attention to the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year and encourage adoption. The holiday celebrates all dogs – no matter the breed – and all the ways they make our lives better.
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter!
- Volunteer at a shelter and make the day of all the dogs there.
- Schedule some extra playtime with your pup – maybe discover a new dog park together?
- Bake them a delicious dog cake filled with apples and bananas, pumpkin, or blueberries.
- Order them some nutritious and delicious plant-based food from PawCo!